1. It's cheaper buying in bulk. I am now buying my meat from Sam's Club, 5-5.5lbs in a package.
2. As a family of 6 (well, still 5 since baby doesn't really count yet) we have outgrown those smaller ground beef packages.
3. It's so great being able to head to the freezer and grab the exact amount I need. 2 pounds for spaghetti sauce, 3 pounds for tacos, soups, ect.
4. Defrosting is a jiffy now that the bags are flattened. I
5. You have options for storage. You can either lay them down in the freezer or "catalogue" them like books standing up once frozen.
Gallon zip lock bags, 11 lbs ground beef (Sam's Club) and foil laid out on counter to transfer meat over.
I set up and open 11 gallon zip locks, then put 1 lb of meat into each bag. I don't have a scale, so I just guesstimate.
Take my rolling pen and flatten out meat...
Make it as thin as you can, press air out and seal.
Don't forget to date it!
Here is my stack! This took 10 minutes and SOO worth the time :) Make sure you freeze them FLAT before arranging them in the freezer. Now you are ready to grab and cook!









That's what we do too!! We also buy the BIG pork loins and cut them up into pork slices and put them in individual ziploc bags as well. It makes life sooo much easier!!!
ReplyDeleteClever idea. How much is ground beef at the bulk stores and do they have lean (7% fat or less)? I used to have a membership but couldn't ever find what I wanted.
ReplyDelete