
Every day is an extreme learning experience for me with four children and one on the way. I like to think that most days I am on top of things, but the past 8 weeks battling morning sickness have streeeetched me...and I am NOT afraid to admit it! The past 48 hours I have felt a wonderful shift within my body. We are nearly 15 weeks and my morning sickness is tapering off-what a glorious feeling it is!!! And with this "shift," I have reflected on what tricks I had been using as a mother of four to make life not just manageable, but truly enjoyable...and hope to get back on track within the next week!
1. Co-parenting, teaching and "Choring": My hubby and I are on the exact same page when it comes to parenting, learning time, and chores. There have been
2. Schedules, schedules, schedules! Ohhh, how I have missed my scheduling over Summer! Having our days plotted out ahead of time and what we hope to get accomplished makes life oh so much easier! I've had people say I'm a control freak. humph Of course, those are people with no more than 2 kids. Long gone are the days when I could wake up and just go with the flow or manage to get by without a game plan. Usually my husband and I discuss everything the night before and life is so much more enjoyable when there's no last minute stress about "what to do?" "what time?"
3. Use the Same Calendar: This sounds totally "duh!" but our MOPS Coordinator mentioned last year how many times people miss appointments or double book because they have individual calenders...and this is SO true! We did and sometimes events didn't get placed on both of our calendars. We now have one of the huge mama-jama ones on our counter and wow-what a tremendous help it has been!
4. Lists around the house: I recently started creating lists on the computer and putting them around the house. It was has worked wonders for the kids! Below is Minh's "To Do Before Coming Downstairs in the Morning" list and the kids "How to Brush Your Teeth" List and sign off sheet. Those sheets are fabulous visual reminders scattered throughout the house!
Minh's List before he comes downstairs for breakfast.
Rules for brushing teeth. Also, the list below is for them to initial when they finished.5. Laundry Bins: About six months ago I purchased laundry bins at Target. They are individual vertical bins and I labeled each one with a family members name and one as linens. When the kids dirty their clothes, instead of putting them in hampers in their rooms, they just put them in their individual bins. Also, it makes laundry time a snap since all the clothes are already presorted and numerous times my parents have come over to help with the kids and have been so kind to assist with laundry!
7 bins in the laundry room labeled.
6. Arrange your home in a way that works for YOU: As my children grow, my needs change...especially with three BOYS. We have done our best arrange our main living area into "learning stations" so we don't have a hodge podge of kid stuff all over. The less there is, the more they will play with it. We have a puzzle station, a computer/hw station, a dress up station, a toy station, books and advanced puzzles up on the shelves, and a table for puzzles. Everything flows and is easily accessible.
Living area.
Puzzle station on left, hw/computer at desk, dress up trunk.
7. Don't let the toys overrun your life! The past 2 months I have been in survival mode...so toy clean up was on the bottom of the totem pole. However, things are finally getting back in order! We have 3 large plastic bins that are divided into Baby/Toddler Toys, Girl Toys, and Big Kid Toys. We are blessed to have a large loft upstairs and that is where we
Toy bins
8. Organization on the move: Our Swaggerwagon is very organized. Does it get messy sometimes, sure. However, we have worked hard to make every inch completely functional. We purchased the 8 seater 2 years ago (not the 7 seater with a mini jump seat in the middle) and this has been SUCH a huge
bonus to our growing family! We took the passenger side middle row seat out which has allowed for a large open area within the van for diaper changing, potty time, luggage, and it makes buckling little kids a piece of cake!
You can see the 4 car seat and I always have a towel or sheet in the "hallway." Look at all that space!
I unfolded our on-the-go-potty. What a life saver this device is!!! It folds under the seat and uses gallon zip lock bags.
My ergo in the middle and the 3 boxes of Snacks, Books, and Extra Clothes. ps. We do NOT allow the kids to eat IN the van...another decision that I believe has saved everyone lots of food battles and messes.9. Keep the bed and baths simple: We don't allow toys in the bedrooms at night, so the clean up is relatively simple since the kids share rooms. Same goes for the bathrooms. Simplicity goes a long way! {the kids are asleep so I don't have photos of their rooms}
10. Couponing, Meal Planning, and Freezer Cooking: I have not couponed in nearly 8 weeks {gasp}. And boy have I and my pocket book missed it! I cannot WAIT to get my coupon binder caught up now that I can make it through the grocery store without getting sick! haha Also, meal planning has been a life saver for our family!!! I hope to start up my Sunday Supper Meal Plans again this weekend...handling the smell of cooking food seemed so far off, but alas, we are close!
Everything is labeled. Reeeeeally messy right now, but give me a week! It will be spiffy and organized again!









Wow! You are so organized! I only have 2 children but completely agree about the importance of schedules. When my girls are off, then everyone pays! So, I don't think you're a control freak; you're just doing what you have to do. Thanks for the glimpse into your life. It helps me to see if I could do it (i.e., have more than 2 children). Blessings to you!
ReplyDeletewow, you seem super organized! This is an awesome list, my favorite is #1. It's great that he can take over when you don't feel well! Happy Tuesday!
ReplyDelete-Samantha
www.kreativekaring.com
Love this post. I needed to see it today. We are about to adopt 2 little ones, and I already have 2 little ones and I'm wondering how our home will survive it. Thank you for the hope!!
ReplyDelete-Tara
www.mommyhaha.com
Good tips! I love your learning stations.
ReplyDelete