CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Organizing Children's Clothes



I'm not neurotic about too many things. At least, I don't think I am? hmmm... But when it comes to rotating the childrens clothes, after 7 years, I think I have it down! I have included the picture for my "system." It's very simple, but I'm sure over the years it has saved me countless hours of washing, sorting, and organizing the childrens clothes and not to mention LOTS of money since I know exactly what pieces of clothing my children already have!

1. Purchase 18 gallon storage containers (I have found these to be the largest sized bins that I can arrange in our closets). I recommend buying multiple containers at a time since there will most likely be more clothes than you anticipated. My children are 7, 3, 2, and 5 months and I currently have 16 containers.

2. Label the outside of your container with gender and size. I also color code mine by simply cutting small pieces of red (girls) or yellow (boys) construction paper. It really helps when things are packed tight.

3. Wash (duh) the clothes before you sort and store them.

4. Sort the clothes by category (ex: shirts, pants, socks, ect) and put them into individual grocery bags before you place them in the bins. This will extremely helped when taking them back out...grab a bag of shirt to hang, a bag of pants to put in the drawer, ect.
**sort by "true fit," not by size on tag ( ex: Some of the clothing my 3 year old daughter is in is labeled a 5T...store what fits when).

5. Store the clothing bin until your next baby or until you want to sell/donate your childrens clothes! :)

It's a little bit of work and extra time at the beginning, but I am convinced it makes everyones transition into their next size up muuuuch easier. Not to mention it's a bit nostalgic to see my 5 month old in his big brothers 7 year old clothing!

Do you have a system for organizing your childrens clothes?? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. Faye's closet looks similar to that... I have everything saved for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh it makes things SO much easier, doesn't it!? Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...