CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 24, 2012

CrossFit Workouts {Try New Adventures Thursday!}



Mama is out of shape.  I mean really, REALLY out of shape.  This fifth pregnancy has completely sent my body into a downward spiral.  I was always very blessed to snap back fairly quickly and with minimal effort.  However, that is not the case now.  I needed a change.  I needed direction.  I needed help.  A sweet friend of mine had been posting pictures on facebook of something called crossfit, and one day I just decided to take the leap and see what the hype was all about.  The first time was free and I can honestly say I have never felt so completely-out-of-shape-I-think-I-just-might-die in my life.  It was a real wakeup call that I needed to get on track immediately.  That afternoon I bent over to put the baby in his carset and completely fell over because my thighs were so sore!  So there I was, sprawled out on the garage floor (literally) and the first excuse that came to mind was, "ugh.  This is just too hard,"  followed by, "I don't have the time for a consistent workout," and "my baby is only 3 months old...it's too soon to start working out."  Then as I hobbled around the van, loaded the kids in, and started driving a realization hit me-Something that hurt so much also felt so good.  I knew then that if a workout can do that to me, just imagine what it's doing for me.  And I decided then and there to officially start CrossFit...3 days a week...at 5am.  I paid, I'm in it for the long-haul, and I am getting stronger every day!  I have also coupled it with healthier eating...not a diet (...yet?), but today is my 4th day without a diet coke, handful of chips, or eating the kids leftovers.  I'm allowing myself 1 cup of coffee in the morning and the rest is water, portion control, and veggies and fruits.  Tomorrow will be my 7th workout and I am excited!!!  Below is some CrossFit information.

I saw this last week...very inspiring and very true.  Just what I needed to hear right now because  being healthy and strong for my five children (4 boys, especially!) is a true necessity.


What is CrossFit?
"CrossFit is a registered affiliate of CrossFit. Our athletes train using the CrossFit methodology. The CrossFit prescription is "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement". Constant variance assures your body will not plateau and will always be given a new stimulus to create change. High intensity is the key ingredient in our program. Intensity is the independent variable most associated with maximizing favorable adaptation to exercise. Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns, they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extrememity. We do not train muscles in isolation because in life and sport we utilize compound movements that are multijoint. The body is a system and should be trained as such.

At CrossFit we train in small groups with a coach. We find this creates much more intensity than if you were to train alone. Our approach is consistent with what is practiced in elite training programs associated with major university athletic teams and professional sports. CrossFit endeavors to bring state-of-the-art coaching techniques to the general public. We believe you can train elite athletes and your grandmother the same way you just have to vary intensity and load. We are all anatomically the same."


When do I workout?  I mean, how can I possibly fit it in with 5 kids?
Since it's not a workout dvd that I can do at home and especially since I'm still nursing our 3 month old full time, this was a challenge.  I found that the ONLY time during the day I could possibly fit a workout in was before the kids got up.  Sooooo, the 5am session was the best bet.  The first 4 times my alarm would go off at 4am and I would drag out of bed, get dressed, nurse the baby, then be out the door at 4:40am.  However, by my 5th workout, I could tell my body was getting used to my schedule and it wasn't nearly as difficult.  Also, the feeling of driving home at 6am with my workout for the day complete was incredibly liberating!  I'd get home, take a quick shower, get breakfast going, and just started having quiet time for my devotions...all accomplished by 7am!


What's an example of a daily workout?
For time:
Run 400m
30x Body-weight bench press
Run 800m
20x Body-weight bench press
Run 1600m
10x Body-weight bench press

This was Wednesdays work out and you can see there was upper body workout then lower body.  So I did bench press with NOTHING but the bar (whew!  Still very hard for me!) and then as soon as I was finished, sprinted out the door and down the street for a 400m run then ran back in and did bench press again.  repeat.  I have been there with only one other person and then 6 other people so there is LOTS of 1 on 1 training.

The workouts you do are from crossfit.com and are completely different EVERY DAY.  Below is how they jot it down do you can see how you do!  I LOVE this and do you see me?  Marissa-near the top!  I feel super cool.  Right now I'm not the least concerned about my time, I'm in pure survival mode and just want to COMPLETE the sessions.


Soooooo, if you have the slightest interest in checking out the CrossFit craze, I'd say GO FOR IT!  It has really motivated me to make a lifestyle change and I'm feeling great!


2 comments:

  1. Marissa, this is awesome!
    I've been working on getting up early. Right now, 6 am is my goal. I want to slowly work it up to around 5 am. What time are you going to bed? Are you getting up early on the off days? *curious*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girl!

    It varies. Some nights I'm in bed arounf 9:30, but still up nursing the baby at times. Other nights I MUST watch my reality tv, and don't fade until midnightish. On my 2 "off" days during the week, I'm sleeping in until everyone wakes up around 6:30. I certainly feel much stronger and have already lost 4lbs! *happy dance!*

    It's great!!!!

    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...