CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 17, 2010

Because Every Mom Needs Short Cuts...

Indeed!  I have some short cuts, as I'm sure every mom does.  And no, these are not the well thought out Meal Plans, Freezer Meals or daily lists and schedules.  These short cuts evolved from "in a pinch" moments (often called moments of desperation in my book) into parenting live savers.  The first five that came to mind are...

5.  On-line shopping for new clothes, presents, and all the in betweens because I simply cannot make rational purchases with four children in tow!  I know it may come as a shock, but I really do not even enjoy shopping...even by myself.  I'm sure my mother can attest to this!  Growing up I absolutely despised back to school shopping.  On-line there are no lines, no pressure no tasty temptations.

4.  My dishes wait until evening (sometimes the next morning  gasp!) to be washed.  I will rinse and leave them in the sink during the day.  Shocking, I know, but honestly having dishes in my sink doesn't annoy me...what annoys me more is spending what should be 45 minutes of quality time with my kids standing behind the sink.  My husband is also amazing, he does a good deal of the dish washing.  I am so blessed.  So yes, if you stop by, the sink will most likely be full!  I have no shame.

3.  Nighttime Grocery Shopping has become my grocery salvation!  With my husbands new schedule, this venture is finally more than a possibility...it's now my reality!  And I looove it!  I no longer spend wasted time in the store singing a tune that usually goes something like, "Sit down.  Please don't touch that.  Arms IN the cart.  You have to go potty now?  Yes, they are all mine and no, she is not adopted. Yes, I know what causes babies...and I like it.  Yes, I am old enough to have four."  I usually make my weekly run right after Braylon goes to sleep at 8:00 and I can no complete it in record time!!

2.  The "sock bins"  Oh my goodness, sock pairing has become a MAJOR challenge in our household!  That is the main housework grumble that I complain about.  It's frustrates me to no end not being able to find matching socks for six people!  A few months ago, I just gave up.  I mean, I was having anxiety about socks?  Seriously?  I started tossing them into two large containers and this has now be included with our laundry "norm."  Toss and pull as needed.  It has saved tons of time (in my opinion) and finally all the socks end up in one place.  A very organized unorganized way of sockin' it up!  Certainly doesn't work for everyone but it has made our laundry routine bearable!

1.  Paper Plates to the rescue!  After Pax was born, I felt as though by my husbands 4th shift (his hours and days vary) I had such a difficult time with dinner dishes.  Four kids, up and down, often plates end up on the ground, kid hunger strikes, nursing while disciplining...it was often overwhelming with the amount of post dinner clean up that needed to be accomplished by myself.  One day I found some left over paper plates from a Holiday Party and it dawned on me, what is keeping me from using these?  I do not have super powers and sometimes I need a break!  So if the break was occasionally using paper plates...then I was all game!  This short cut has been such a life saver for me on rough nights!  Just serve and toss the plates afterwards.  It is environmentally friendly?  Obviously not.  But for now, this temporary short cut has been "sanity friendly."

What are your mommy short cuts?



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, your bit about the socks reminded me of growing up with 5 other siblings...there were ALWAYS missing socks. But what was worse was trying to find everyone's SHOES before leaving the house!
    Ah, good times.

    I'm with ya...we all need shortcuts! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...